Earlier, company’s use to offer replacement for a malfunctioned product, but as time ensued things have changed. Though there has been a spiked increase in the number of customers purchasing the product, so has been the increase in competitors and complaints from customers. Also, there are few companies as well, which don’t provide the best after sales service, which is a downfall for a consumer. Over the year, things have changed and today customer has more power than he ever did. Today, there are consumer forums or consumer courts, which have been established to cater to a customer’s complaint.

In this consumer-oriented age, every customer when purchases any item or avails any service and he feels dissatisfied, he can complain to get his due rights. The first step in this direction of lodging a complaint is reporting the owner of the company/organisation which has produced that product or provided that service. Every organisation today, has put a complain Redressal system in place to ensure that all the consumer-related issues can be given proper attention and resolved in time, without any further delay.

It can be directed to the court if the desired owner does not respond positively. One can approach the consumer court through online numbers available for the common man to file the complaint. There are certain privileges and precautions to be taken before filling in any form. Similar to our civil/criminal judicial system, consumer forum is also segregated on the basis of amount involved in a Redressal. One can approach District Consumer Forum when the cost is less than 20 lakh rupees, but if it exceeds than this amount, he has to approach State commission of the state if the cost is more than one crore approach National commissions in New Delhi.

How to file a complaint in Consumer court:-

  1. First of all, we need the invoice or bill for the item purchased
  2. Any warranty card provided by the shopkeeper.
  3. The address proof
  4. Registration no. of company
  5. In case the bill is not provided, the entry in the accounts section of the company may be searched.
  6. Any impairment may be searched in bank statements.

First of all, he may need a photocopy of all the above necessary documents, identification proof like PAN/AADHAR CARD etc. which should be signed and sealed by a notary. DD should be attached for the court fee: 100 rupees up to one lakh, 200 rupees for 1 to 5 lakhs, 300 rupees for 5 to 10 lakhs and 400 rupees for 10 to 20 lakhs. For the transactions between 20 to 50 lakhs, he has to be present at the State commissions and pay the amount 2000. A stamp paper for ₹ 4000/- has to be issued, for the Redressal amount between 50 lakhs to 1 crore, and ₹ 5000/- rupees for the amount above one crore. But the person belonging to ‘Antyodaya Anna Yojana’ card need not pay a fee. The customer needs to be present in all the legal proceedings. Also, he needs to mention the relief he wishes from the judgment, like replacement or repair or refund. He can claim even the cost involved in this procedure. All the procedure may take up to two years from the date of filing the case. If the case persists, he may take help of the advocate with an additional cost of his fee. Moreover, if many people have the same complaint, they can lodge it in a single one.