The Universal rights of a consumer are:
- Right to safety: consumer have the right to be protected against sale or marketing of spurious or hazardous goods and services.
- Rights to information: By the means of this law consumer have right to know the quality, quantity, potency, purity, standard, weight and price of goods and services being paid for, to prevent unfair trade practices.
- Right to choice: Consume has the right to be assured, whenever possible access to a variety of goods and serves at competitive prices.
- Right to be heard: Consumer has the right to be heard, right to represent him and be assured that consumer's interest will receive due consideration at appropriate forum.
- Right to seek redressal: Consumer have the right to get compensation and to seek legal redressal against unfair or restricted practices or exploitation.
- Right to consumer education: To have access to consumer education.
The consumers must exercise his/her rights regarding the purchase of things, but at the same time they have to follow his/her responsibilities too. Few things have to be kept in mind while making a purchase. They are as follows:Consumer must Exercise his Rights:
A consumer must be aware of their rights while buying.
Every consumer has the Right to be Safe, to be informed, to be represented, to seek redress and right to consumer education.
While buying many consumers get wooed by seller’s words which should not happen. Consumer should use their reasons while purchasing goods/service. They should not consider seller’s words as final truth. Consumers must seek all information regarding the quality, quantity, and price, utility of goods and services.Filing Complaint for the Redressal of Genuine Grievances:
A Responsible consumer must approach the officer concerned if there is some complaint about the goods purchased. Sometimes companies or service providers act clever by giving the excuse that a late complaint has been filed and the period of guarantee or warrantee has lapsed.Consumer must not compromise on Quality:
If consumer purchase goods out of greed and compromises with the quality of good than there cannot be any protection for them from any quarter. The responsibility of the consumers only to buy goods with the ISI, Agmark, FPO, etc. printed on them. These symbols indicate good quality products.Advertisements Often Exaggerate /Beware of False Advertisement:
Advertisement is a great way for a seller to sell his good to consumer but sometimes the sellers exaggerate about the quality of their goods through advertisement. The buyer has to show responsibility and not be a victim of false advertisements.Do Not Forget to Get Receipt and Guarantee/Warranty Card:
One must always get a receipt or bill for the things purchased. Don’t forget the warrantee or guarantee card offered by the seller. In case the consumer has received low quality products, the guarantee card will help him claiming his amount.